IDC's Consumer Technology Strategy Service: Platinum provides B2C stakeholders with high-quality insights to support the success and growth of their consumer-facing strategies and actions. The service leverages a system of frequent surveys to provide robust data and analysis of how and why U.S. consumers buy and use technology, the brands they trust, and related trends. Consumer attitudes, needs, and behavior are constantly evolving. The brands that succeed do so by anticipating and meeting those needs, delivering an outstanding relationship and experience. The service provides B2C business units with the full view of the consumer they need to anticipate and meet changing consumer needs and to outperform their competitors.
Consumer Technology Strategy Service: Platinum
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Device and service penetration, profiles, and future consideration
- Consumer technology expenditures (across all categories of devices and services), detailed share of wallet, subscription "fatigue"
- Recent buyer behavior among last 30-day purchasers in key device categories with analysis of brand purchase, rejection, and avoidance
- Current technology usage, future consideration, purchase horizon, and intent; feature and benefit desirability; attitudes and triggers
- Adoption/growth drivers and inhibitors
- Interest in 5G devices and service
- Satisfaction, Net Promoter Score (NPS), unmet needs, pain points, and sources of friction in the user experience
- Preferred technology brands by category and overall; brand trust and stretch ("extendability")
- How consumer behavior in one category translates to other categories
- Consumer trends and reactions to market activities
- The future of the evolving consumer technology marketplace
Core Research (United States Only)
- Quarterly 60-Minute Webinar with Key Findings/Guidance (Custom)
- The Consumer Technology Landscape: 2021
- Consumer Device and Service Penetration and Profiles
- Consumer Device Replacement Rates by Form Factor (Pivot Tables with Dashboard)
- Consumer Technology Spending (Share of Wallet, IDC Purchase Index, IDC Subscription Index Addressing Subscription "Fatigue")
- Consumer Technology Brand Sentiment (IDC Brand Trust Index)
- Recent Smartphone Buyer Behavior (Reviewed Alongside Tracker)
- Recent PC/Tablet Buyer Behavior (Reviewed Alongside Tracker)
- Recent Smart TV Buyer Behavior (Reviewed Alongside Tracker)
- Consumer Usage, NPS, Preferences, and Future Intent (Reports for Smartphones, PCs, Tablets, Smart TVs/Streaming Devices, Smart Homes, Gaming, Video Content, Mobile Service, Wearables)
- 5G Device and Service Interest — Monthly Monitor
- Ask the Consumer (ATC): Opportunity for Subscribers to Include Five Questions in an IDC Consumer Survey for Exclusive Client Use
- Plus Four Unique Documents, Including our Services and Subscriptions Deep Dive and Three Others
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How has the consumer landscape evolved YoY? Spend? Buyer profiles? Which devices and services are poised for growth?
- How do consumers use the devices/services they have? How is behavior changing? What are pain points/needs? Future plans? What is the penetration of each device or service? What is the profile of current users? Who will buy next?
- How are consumer media habits changing? How does this impact interest in media and entertainment services? Other services?
- What is driving current market dynamics? How is consumer demand and spend shifting? Why? Where should we focus?
- Our company is exploring a new segment of interest. What data do you have that will give us a snapshot of that segment?
- Which brands do consumers trust most? What can others learn? Which have earned consumer licenses to extend into new areas?
ADT Inc., ASUSTeK Computer Inc., AT&T Inc., AVAST Software s.r.o., AVG Technologies, Acer Inc., Alcatel-Lucent S.A., Alphabet Inc., Amazon.com Inc., Apple Inc., BLU Products, Inc., Best Buy Co., Inc., Blackberry Ltd., Boost Worldwide, Inc., Bose Corporation, CBS Corp., Charter Communications, Inc., Comcast Corporation, Cox Communications, Inc., DISH Network L.L.C., Dell Inc., Electronic Arts Inc., Experian plc, Facebook, Inc., Fitbit Inc., Fossil Group, Inc., Garmin Ltd., General Electric Company, Google LLC, Haier Group, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Home Box Office, Inc., Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd., Hulu, LLC, Intel Corporation, JBL Co.,Ltd., JLab LLC, JVC KENWOOD Holdings, Inc., Jabra Corp., LG Corp., Lenovo Group Limited, Lyft Inc., McAfee LLC, Microsoft Corporation, Motorola Solutions, Inc., NBC Universal, Inc., NVIDIA Corporation, Netflix International B.V., Nokia Corporation, NortonLifeLock Inc., Oculus VR, LLC, Onn, Inc., Origin Digital Inc., Pandora Media, Inc., Qualcomm Inc., RCA Corporation, ReSound Corporation, Roku Inc., SANYO Electric Co., Ltd., Samsung, Sharp Corporation, Skullcandy Inc., Sling TV LLC, Sonos Inc., Sony Corporation, Spotify Technology S.A., T-Mobile International AG, TCL Corporation, Tesla Motors Inc., The Walt Disney Company, Time Warner Inc., Toshiba Corporation, Uber Technologies, Inc., Verizon Communications, Inc., Viacom, Inc., Vizio Inc., WHOOP Inc., Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., Wiltronic Corporation, Wyze Labs, Inc., XM Radio Inc., ZTE Corporation