IDC's Open Source Ecosystem service takes an unconventional approach to understanding the importance and size of open source–based solutions that are entering the market today. This program analyzes the relative maturity, capabilities, delivery models, and size of noncommercial implementations of open source software solutions in the context of markets that classically have been served by commercial, non–open source software products and have been sized in terms of dollars of spend annually. This program provides the "rest of the story" to clients that wish to understand the complete ecosystem that is in play in a given market and the role that open source software plays today and will play in the future.
Open Source Ecosystem
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Evaluation of open source projects and related products by functional market
- Evaluation of the commercial vendors that turn those open source projects into commercially supported products and their ability to penetrate and impact the market
- A focus on the business models and market opportunities in each functional market
- Evaluation of the customer base for each open source technology as well as adoption and use cases for that technology
- Forecast for how adoption is likely to change
- Partnership profile for vendors and communities in this market
- The Changing Role of Noncommercial Open Source Software
- OSS Projects and OSS Companies to Watch
- Comparing Community and Commercial Software
- IDC MaturityScape: Open Source Software Adoption
- Open Source Development Tools
- The Role of OSS Within Digitally Innovating Companies
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What is the relative maturity of key open source projects and commercialized versions of these projects?
- What is the overall volume of noncommercial open source software in specific markets?
- How is open source software used in public cloud infrastructure?
- Who are the key commercial vendors selling open source software across multiple markets?
- How is the industry responding to the need to support new and aging OSS projects?
- How do business models differ based on the underlying technology?