IDC's Carrier Network Infrastructure service analyzes emerging opportunities and threats facing carrier networks as they embark on digital transformation. Network vendors seek to stay relevant as information and communication technology (ICT) vendors in the digital transformation journey. The service focuses on adoption trends in transforming fixed-line and mobile network infrastructure. It also analyzes applicability of as-a-service models (NaaS, IaaS, and SaaS) to telecom networks. Research includes quantitative and qualitative market assessments as well as forecasts of market trends, technology requirements, and deployment strategies.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Carrier Ethernet (routing and switching) forecast and opportunities
- Service provider routers (core and edge)
- Vendor SDN and NFV strategies and solutions
- SD-WAN and virtual network services
- Technology convergence of the wireline and wireless infrastructure
- Network migration strategies of network operators
- 5G infrastructure: Technology and business implications for key stakeholders such as mobile operators, equipment vendors, enterprises, and industry verticals in the 5G ecosystem
- SMART RAN: Next-gen sites, C-RAN, cloud RAN, small cells, CBRS, MulteFire, and mmWave
- SMART core: vEPC (MME, P-GW, S-GW, ePDG, HSS), diameter routing, policy, NFV, and SP-SDN framework
- SMART content: Video optimization, bandwidth engineering, and CDNs
- Worldwide SD-WAN forecast
- Worldwide carrier routing equipment forecast
- Wordlwide NFV infrastructure forecast
- Virtual CPE market forecast
- Wordwide SDN and CNI automation forecast
- Worldwide VNF market forecast
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- How and why is capex and opex spending transforming within fixed and mobile network operators?
- Which business use cases will drive NFV-SDN growth in mobile and fixed networks?
- How are network equipment providers positioning themselves to enable the service provider network transformation?
- What are the business and technology implications of open software platforms on vendor product road maps?
- What will the technology value chain look like in a 5G era?
- What are the implications for service providers and technology vendors from the ongoing transition to open, software-defined virtualized network architectures?