IDC's Worldwide Semiannual Security Products Tracker® is a comprehensive global data tool that details vendor share and forecast information on major network security markets. These include: firewall/UTM, virtualized firewall, IDS/IPS, internal network analysis, VPN/SSL, messaging, other content inspection, internet defense.
Spending on these network security technology areas continue to increase as organizations segment networks and add services to secure more and more hybrid environments. Customers are focusing on manageability and simplification across environments in addition to addressing the latest threats. This tracker will help clients understand which companies can deliver on the premises of security effectiveness, manageability, and future proofing.
The tracker is built on the strong foundation of IDC's Software and Security Appliance trackers, coupled with IDC's extensive network of local expertise across the globe, ensuring that the market competition and opportunities are represented truest to reality.
Measurement for this tracker is in revenue. This tracker provides total market size and vendor share for the following technology areas:
- Firewall/UTM, virtualized firewall, IDS/IPS, internal network analysis, VPN/SSL, messaging, other content inspection, internet defense
- Segmented by security software and security appliances
This tracker is delivered on a semiannual basis via a web-based interface for online querying and downloads. For a complete delivery schedule, please contact an IDC sales representative. Deliverables for this tracker are:
- Historical deliverable: Half-year vendor shares by market
- Forecast deliverable: Annual five-year forecasts by market
Forecasts for this tracker are updated semiannually and include two full years of historical data and five years of annual forecasts. Forecasts are available at the worldwide level. Examples of the forecasts included in this tracker are as follows:
Core Forecast Coverage
- Markets (see the Technology Coverage section)
IDC's tracker data is developed using a rigorous methodology that includes well-planned and well-coordinated local, regional, and worldwide data cross-checks combined with a proprietary advanced data consolidation and analysis data platform managed by IDC's Worldwide Tracker organization. Data sources used in the process of determining IDC's tracker numbers include, but are not limited to:
- In-country local vendor interviews
- Distribution data feeds
- Worldwide and regional vendor guidance
- ODM data
- In-country local channel partner discussions
- Import records
- Feedback from component suppliers
- Vendor briefings and public financial reports