TECH BUYER Nov 2017 - IDC MarketScape - Doc # US43209917
IDC MarketScape: Worldwide PaaS and Developer Services 2017 Vendor Assessment
By: Larry CarvalhoResearch Director, Platform as a Service, Erik Berggren
This IDC study represents a vendor assessment of PaaS and developer services through the IDC MarketScape model. The ramp-up of public cloud adoption by enterprises in building applications, accompanied by steady investment in expansion of platform services by the market leaders, has broadened the range of public cloud platform offerings for the end customer. The growth and variety of platform services helps both providers and customers, with public cloud providers investing in automation of application life cycle as well as higher-level services, and end customers picking the most appropriate services for their application needs.
The PaaS market is changing, making the choice of the right solution a multifaceted exercise. Selecting the right PaaS solutions is arguably one of the more difficult ones given its complexity of choices. Enterprises need to assess solutions available and match them with in-house skills and the problem at hand. Some of the questions buyers need to answer are:
- Is the primary need for agility in building new applications or replatforming of existing applications and workloads?
- Is the application meant for high-scale consumer facing or employee/supplier/partner facing? (This will determine need for scale and whether it should be hosted in-house or on a public cloud infrastructure. Based on these answers, customers should determine what are the platform's limitations to meet these needs.)
- Do the PaaS tools provide the levels of high availability, elastic scaling, and security that you require?
- Is the PaaS vendor tied to a single infrastructure?
- Does the application development tool support the languages and frameworks that your developers are using? Does your application need require a next-generation platform using containers?
- Do the PaaS tools have the integration and extension capabilities that will allow you to leverage the platform appropriately, internally and externally, and easily take advantage of third-party applications and services to extend the functionality of your solution?
- Is cloud enablement a strategic imperative? What is the preferred cloud deployment model — public, private, or hybrid?
- Is the vendor viable on a long-term basis and capable of supporting its offering, and is the vendor offering a stable architecture and willing to provide availability stats on a continuing basis? Is the vendor staffed to provide a high level of support?
"Digital transformation is putting a great deal of pressure on organizations to deliver applications at a much higher pace than before in all industries. Vendors are meeting this demand by providing innovative approaches to meeting developer needs taking advantage of a wide variety of cloud technology improvements," said Larry Carvalho, research manager, Platform as a Service. "In the environment of rapidly changing PaaS solutions offered, customers need to match their business needs and available skills to pick the right approach and solution to reduce the deficit between delivery capability and demand for applications."
"Organizations are focused on delivering on their DX agenda's and their overall cloud transition strategy is a critical vehicle to deliver on that. The opportunity for organizations to adopt PaaS and make that an integral part of their cloud transition strategy to deliver on their digital initiatives are huge. Beyond the obvious speed, quality, and cost benefits, there are strategic options available with readily made components such as IoT integration, and already built components such as advanced speech recognition to just name one example. Organizations can create strategic differentiation leveraging capabilities from PaaS solutions. Just as the opportunity is big, the challenge of doing this in an organized manner is critical. Companies need to take a structured comprehensive approach when developing their cloud transition strategy," states Erik Berggren, VP, Cloud Strategies at IDC.
App development and app provisioning, Application development software, Cloud strategies, Cloud system software, DevOps strategies, Digital transformation strategies, Operating model transformation, Platform as a service, Technology buyer, Vendor and sourcing management, WorkSource transformation
List of Tables
List of Figures
When you purchase this document, the purchase price can be applied to the cost of an annual subscription, giving you access to more research for your investment.