This IDC Market Presentation presents the results of 1Q19 for the Chrome genus. The Worldwide PC Genera Review is a new series of presentations that provides tech suppliers with additional ways to assess the global PC market, competitive landscape, and top trends. In these studies, IDC divides the PCD market (excluding natively mobile platforms) into distinct genera. Genera are assigned based on common characteristics across segment, usage, features, and platform with consideration given for market size. Competition is most direct within each genus, but the performance of each genus in totality directly affects the performance of others. Genera are listed and described and are also provided in the second slide of the presentation:
- Design genus consists of Windows convertibles, detachables, and <15mm notebooks (referred to as thin and light) across both consumer and commercial. It is so named because its primary value proposition is enabled and tied to its design.
- Gaming genus consists of consumer desktops and 15mm+ notebooks defined under the gaming attribute in the Gaming Tracker. It represents PCs shipped into the home that are gaming capable.
- Home genus consists of the remainder of consumer Windows shipments (desktops and notebooks minus gaming, convertibles, detachables, and thin and light). This genus represents conventional products geared for general home use.
- Notebook genus consists of commercial Windows notebooks excluding convertibles, detachables, and Windows thin and light systems. It represents the general Windows commercial notebook market.
- Desktop genus consists of commercial Windows desktops including all-in-ones, towers, and small and ultrasmall form factors. It represents the general Windows commercial desktop market.
- Workstation genus consists of ISV-certified, branded workstations, including desktop workstations, mobile workstations, and datacenter workstations. This genus represents the mission-critical market.
- Mac genus consists of all Mac products (Mac mini, Mac tower, iMac, and MacBooks) across all segments.
- Chrome genus consists of all Chrome OS-based products including Chromebooks, Chromeboxes, and Chromebases across all segments.
- Others genus consists of all remainders and is primarily made up of low-end, Linux desktops. Native mobile platforms (such as Android and iOS) are excluded entirely altogether.
Terminology used in this presentation refers to genus shorthand, and not tracker taxonomy necessarily.