06 Aug 2019
New IDC MarketScape Evaluates Worldwide Professional Services Firms for Utilities Customer Experience
LONDON, August 6, 2019 — Utilities' customer experience (CX) and customer operations are becoming increasingly complex in competitive and regulated markets. Across the world, utilities are transforming how they serve their customers, measuring the experience they provide against the yardstick of time, effort, and personalization. In doing so, they seek to reduce the cost to acquire and serve, efficiently manage their omni-channel strategies, and protect their revenues. At the same time, utilities are evolving their offerings, looking for new business models and new revenue streams away from mere commodity supply. Whether it is managing a business client's energy ecosystem; financing, installing, and maintaining residential solar and storage; or optimizing customer usage to provide services to the grid, customer-facing capabilities are becoming critical.
The new IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Professional Services Firms for Utilities Customer Experience 2019 Vendor Assessment (IDC #US42713318, July 2019) assesses services companies' ability to support their utility clients as they transform their customer operations and the customer experience using process automation and digital technologies. It specifically looks at critical use cases such as personalized sales, marketing, and engagement; 360-degree customer management, and CX analytics. The report evaluates 15 vendors: Accenture, Atos, Capgemini, CGI, Cognizant, EY, HCL, IBM, Minsait (an Indra company), Infosys, NTT DATA, PwC, Tata Consultancy Services, Tech Mahindra, and Wipro.
"In competitive and regulated energy markets around the world, utilities have spent the past 20 years moving past customers being mere rate payers or delivery points. The most progressive companies in the business provide digital experiences that live up to their customers' expectations for personalization, rewarding experiences and convenience/simplicity," said Gaia Gallotti, associate research director, IDC Energy Insights. "However, with the bar of customer expectations being constantly raised by customer-centricity champions outside the industry, even the most capable of utilities cannot stand still."
Looking at the services vendor ecosystem, IDC Energy Insights highlights the following:
- With varying capabilities, assets, and track records, all vendors analyzed in this IDC MarketScape focus on supporting the digital transformation (DX) of utilities' customer operations and customer experience. Some are leveraging their strong positions in highly competitive energy markets to introduce innovative offerings.
- Many service providers considered in this IDC MarketScape double as solutions providers, combining CX services with a wide variety of IP, ranging from software platforms and solutions to company blueprints, implementation accelerators, ROI tools, and benchmarking methodologies.
- Platform-based offerings have become a gold standard in CX, and utilities' customer operations are not immune to this trend. Cloud has become a pillar of many vendors' value propositions and a critical enabler of modularity, agility, and access to the latest functionality for customer-facing processes.
- To boost their capabilities in digital strategy and experience design, many vendors considered in this IDC MarketScape have acquired and integrated digital agencies. These are leveraged to help utilities transform customer-facing functions, from marketing to sales management and customer service, as well as design, and manage new products, services, and experiences.
- Pricing models have evolved significantly, and some vendors have introduced sophisticated outcome-based pricing models with output- and outcome-based elements. These are increasingly blending into classic time-and-materials and fixed-price arrangements in CX projects.
For more information about this study or to arrange a one-on-one briefing with an IDC Energy Insights analyst, please contact Kanupriya at +44-2089877111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About IDC MarketScapes
The IDC MarketScape vendor analysis model is designed to provide an overview of the competitive fitness of IT, telecommunications, or industry-specific suppliers in a given market. The research methodology utilizes a rigorous scoring methodology based on both qualitative and quantitative criteria that results in a single graphical illustration of each vendor's position within a given market. IDC MarketScapes provide a clear framework in which the product and service offerings, capabilities and strategies, and current and future market success factors of IT, telecommunications, or industry-specific vendors can be meaningfully compared. The framework also provides technology buyers with a transparent foundation to enable companies to independently compare the strengths and weaknesses of current and prospective vendors.
About IDC Energy Insights
IDC Energy Insights assists energy businesses and IT leaders, as well as the suppliers that serve them, in making more effective technology decisions by providing accurate, timely, and insightful fact-based research and consulting services. Staffed by senior analysts with decades of industry experience, our global research analyzes and advises on business and technology issues facing the utility and oil and gas industries. International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology market. IDC is a wholly owned subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology, media, research, and events company.
Copy the following code into your site
Wipro Limited, Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation, Atos S.A., Ernst & Young Global Limited, Tech Mahindra Limited, Accenture plc, Indra Sistemas, S.A., Capgemini Services SAS, HCL Technologies Limited, IBM, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, NTT DATA Corporation, Infosys Limited, CGI Group Inc.
Application development services, Business consulting services, Business process outsourcing, IT consulting services, IT education and training, IT maintenance and support, IT operations and implementation, Infrastructure outsourcing services, Systems integration services
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Professional Services Firms for Mining Operational Process Optimisation 2020 Vendor Assessment
- Market Analysis Perspective: Worldwide Services, 2020 — The Return to the New Normal
- Worldwide and U.S. Artificial Intelligence Services Market Shares, 2019: Co-Innovation Expertise and Assets Drive AI-Enabled Transformations